There are almost 10 million people in the National Registry ( Be the Match Registery) and less than 30% are minorities.
Every year, over 30, 000 people are diagnosed in the US with a life threatening diseases like Leukemia and Lymphoma. (Gurjeet Dosanjh-Brar
has been diagnosed with T-Cell Lymphoma). For many patients, bone marrow transplant is their only chance at survival. Only 30% of the patients find matching donors within their own families. The remaining 70% must search the registry for an unrelated donor.
Because tissue typing is inherited, patients are more likely to match someone of their same race or ethnicity. There are very few Indian bone marrow donors which lowers the chances of Indian men, women, & children’s lives from being saved through a bone marrow transfusion.
To be a match for bone marrow, the donor does not need to be of the same blood type as the recipient. Instead the donor and recipient are to match closely genetically.
In Caucasian patients the likelihood of finding a donor on the Be The Match Registry is estimated to range between 66 percent to 93 percent becaure there are over 5 million Caucasion donors. For Indian patients, however, this percentage is drastically lower becuase we havent even reached 100,000 donors.